b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 21:21:14 -0500

Dear Peter,
I am not up on Assyrian practices of warfare, but I have
studied Persian tactics as well as those of Alexander the Great.
Kings would spend their time and energy primarily on coastal
cities, and send emissaries to the inland ones. These emissaries
were not there to threaten the populace with a prolonged siege.
They gave them a choice in every case: surrender or death.
In every case, the men who did not surrender were killed, the women
and children enslaved or killed. That is the case here, they were being
threatened with death.
No one in a siege has ever drunk their urine or eaten their dung.
IF he was threatening a long siege, he would have told them that they
would soon be eating their children. That's what people do during
a siege. He was telling them that if they did not surrender they would
be
dead.
Liz