b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: markeddy AT adams.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Nephesh Mesopotamian myths
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 00:14:48 EST

In a message dated 2/7/2003 11:28:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
markeddy AT adams.net writes:

> [...]
Mark,

We try to not get too much into theology here. The aim is to discuss rather
what the text might be saying. We do wander somewhat into theology, and when
we do we have a wide range of opinions here. You represent the very
traditional protestant conservative view. That's OK, you have a right to
your opinion. I may understand it better than some since I come from that
background myself though I no longer hold that view. I think we would all be
better served if you saved your energy for putting this material into your
sermons where your parishoners might be more in agreement with you and
appreciate it more.

The problem is that if we simply take what is written and attempt as best we
can to harmonize it, we still have many problems. Then again, if we were to
simply to accept this because "the Bible tells me so", we wouldn't have much
to talk about. It's all been written already. We hope to learn something
new regarding these texts which we have not known before. Most of all, we're
here to discuss any problems or developments in the understanding of the
language.

gfsomsel