b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS Tense Aspect Mood

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Alviero Niccacci <alviero.niccacci AT studiumbiblicum.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS Tense Aspect Mood
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:27:40 +0200

Calling all aspectniks:

Standard grammars claim that Biblical Hebrew verbs mark aspect, and
Mishnaic Hebrew verbs mark time (tense). What then of the Hebrew between
these two works: the Dead Sea Scrolls? To what extent is the Hebrew of
the DSS apectual, tense-based, modal, or something else? That is the
question I will address in my dissertation.

If the above has made your pulse rise (hi vince, Rolf, Randy, Alviero,
Galia, Bryan, Rodney, Moon-Ryul, and Dave), I would like to hear from
you. I especially would like to know if I'm missing anything important
from my bibliography, and which is your favorite method for dealing with
this question (whether published or not).

If you have the time and interest to comment on it, my working
classified bibliography can be found at the Yahoo! group I set up for
the thesis:
A short statement of the topic is also at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennerThesis/files/subject.htm

Any input is welcomed. Thanks!

Ken Penner, McMaster/DSS
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennerThesis

You may have a look at my book review of Zevit's _Anterior Construction_ and of Hatav's _Semantics of Aspect_ in vol. 49 (1999) of _Liber Annuus_ the journal of my institution, pages 507-525 and 525-546, respectively. The _Liber Annuus_ is online in pdf format (address below).--But please don't call me an aspectnik--)
Peace and all good,
--
Alviero Niccacci
Studium Biblicum Franciscanum