b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Unicode Hebrew fonts, was: Transliteration Schemes

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <peterkirk AT ozemail.com.au>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Unicode Hebrew fonts, was: Transliteration Schemes
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 16:41:48 +1100

Well, if there is a consensus apart from me not to use
transliteration...

A Hebrew Unicode font, Ezra SIL, is already available free from
www.sil.org. (Do not confuse with the older SIL Ezra, which is not
Unicode.) Ezra SIL works well at least with the following Microsoft
software: Word 2000/2002 on Windows 95+; and most applications on
Windows 2000 and XP. Keyboard utilities are provided as part of the
package. Note that the instructions do not mention Windows 95/98/ME but
the package should work with some minor limitations, at least with Word
2000/2002, if the optional Wordlink extension for Keyman is installed -
a free download from www.tavultesoft.com.

And actually the standard built-in Microsoft fonts, Times New Roman,
Courier New etc, properly support Unicode Hebrew if unpointed, and with
vowel points and dagesh except that holem is misplaced; no cantillation
marks. But the letter shapes are not to everyone's taste.

But the question still remains, when will it be possible to use such a
font on this list? I suspect we will have to wait for adequate Unicode
Hebrew support on Mac, Linux and other systems. The Mac may have its
advantages for the deeper levels of language work but it has sure lost
any advantage it once had for display of scripts. But perhaps we can try
including a few Hebrew passages along with transliterations for those
who can't read, that is, those whose mail programs can't read the Hebrew
script. For example: the first word in the Hebrew Bible is בְּרֵאשִׁית
B.:R")$IYT. That appears on my screen correctly (in Windows 2000),
though in very ugly Courier New fixed space Hebrew. What does it look
like to others, and in what systems?

Peter Kirk
peter.r.kirk AT ntlworld.com
http://web.onetel.net.uk/~peterkirk/