b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Unicode Hebrew fonts

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Unicode Hebrew fonts
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:55:10 -0500

Peter's and Raymond's (quoted) Unicode both came through fine, here
(Outlook 2002 on Win98SE).

But how does it come through on the digests and the archives?
I had heard that the new Mailman software does not allow searching for
Unicode characters, so I checked the new archives, and found that the
Unicode displayed correctly in Peter's message, but not in Raymond's
(the characters were there, but in reversed order).
Further, when I tried searching the archives, I discovered that the
archive search is not working at all, even for English words. No results
were found.

One option (for those with the appropriate software) for composing
emails for B-Hebrew would be to type Hebrew in both Unicode and
transliteration, at least until Linux and Macs have adequate Unicode
support.

Ken Penner, M.C.S. (Biblical Languages, Greek Focus), M.A. (Hebrew
Poetry)
Ph.D. Student, McMaster University
pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca
Flash! Pro: http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/westerholm/flash or