b-hebrew - RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:13:55 -0000

But, Jonathan, surely by default in a narrative of this type, all the
actions of a "good" character are assumed to be good and those of a
"bad" one bad. The author doesn't need to say this explicitly: the
audience will already presuppose that your namesake, the hero, did the
right thing 1 Samuel 14 and Saul was in the wrong. From 13:14 we already
know that Saul was the bad guy and his successor would be good. Now
things do get more ambiguous with that successor in 2 Samuel, but when
David sins we are told this explicitly (11:27) and the message is
reinforced by a quoted prophecy (12:1-12). I think we should assume that
where there is no such indication the author approves of what David did,
even where, as in 1 Samuel 25, it offends modern sensibilities.

But, to defend Saul for a moment, what he proposes in 1 Samuel 14 is not
human sacrifice but a judicial death penalty following a clearly
described court procedure, yes, MOT YAMUT (14:39), for breaking a valid
royal decree. Indeed one could even admire Saul over many modern rulers
for upholding the principle that his own family is not above the law,
all who break it are subject to the same penalty.

Peter Kirk

Binding