b-hebrew - RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:51:26 -0000

There is no explicit condemnation or approval of these actions because
that is not appropriate to the genre of literature. In general there is
very little explicit positive or negative assessment of actions in the
historical books, except sometimes in quoted prophetic messages and in
the summaries of kings' reigns in the books of Kings and Chronicles.
Also the refrain in Judges "all the people did what was right in their
own eyes" (e.g. 21:25) surely implies a general disapproval. We cannot
infer either approval or condemnation from a bare historical account.
Probably the audience is intended to draw a conclusion, i.e. these
should not be treated as neutral accounts of facts. And there is
certainly enough in the books of Samuel to indicate a negative
assessment of Saul relative to David.

Peter Kirk