b-hebrew - Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Awohili AT aol.com
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (Biblical Hebrew)
  • Cc: Awohili AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 19:47:22 EST

Dear Rolf,

Concerning Jephthah, my examination of the Hebrew text and several commentators, classical and modern,  which was published in my article, "Did Jephthah Kill His Daughter?"  (Bible Review magazine, August 1991),  led me to the same conclusions that you express. Deuteronomy 12:30, 31 declares YHWH's abhorrence of the child-sacrificing practices of the neighbors of the Hebrews.  Important clues in the Hebrew text of the book of Judges point to a different resolution of the matter than child sacrifice.

Solomon Landers