b-hebrew - RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "'Jonathan D. Safren'" <yon_saf AT bezeqint.net>, "'Biblical Hebrew'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:04:06 -0000

Title: Re: Monotheism was: "admittedly syncretistic..

Jonathan, I agree that critical research on the biblical texts is desirable. But it is also very difficult, because everyone comes with their own presuppositions.

But you really cannot claim that Wellhausen succeeded in not introducing his “own religious belief system”. What do you think his belief system was? Do you think he was an orthodox Christian just because he had (I assume) been baptised as a Christian? No, his belief system, whether or not you call it “religious”, was based around popular 19th century ideas of evolution and the inevitable progress of man from savagery to perfection – ideas the fallacy of which were rudely exposed in 1914-18 and again in the Holocaust. His belief system is dead, or nearly so, but for some reason his theories which are so dependent on it still live on, even in your argument from “the development of Israelite religion” that the Torah must depend on Hammurapi rather than vice versa because it is more “developed”.

Peter Kirk