b-hebrew - RE: Atonement Vs. Redemption

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Atonement Vs. Redemption
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 10:15:06 +0100

I hope this list isn't going to descend into a slanging match between
Christians and Jews about the New Testament. Please can we respect one
anothers' positions on this rather obvious point and get back to discussing
the issue.

So thank you, Charles, for this useful contribution. I have always seen
"redeem" as reflecting the purchase of freedom for slaves, but it is
important to realise that that freedom is also service of a new Master
"whose service is perfect freedom", to quote the prayer book with which I
was brought up.

Peter Kirk