b-hebrew - Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:45:11 -0400

There was at least one case, in the Torah, where "redemption money"
was used to cleanse the people from sin.

Redemption is mentioned in Leviticus 25:48, Ruth 4:7, 2 Kings 12:5,
and Psalm 130:7 as well as 12 times in the New Testament.
Psalm 130:7 says, "let Israel look for the LORD, For with the LORD is
kindness, with him is full redemption, And God will redeem Israel from
all their sins." The word "redeem(s)" or "redeemer" appears 90 times
in the Old Testament and once in the New Testament. Frequently, the
LORD is said to redeem Israel.

Yes, it connotes freedom

This is why a
priest anoints you with oil by drawing a cross on your forehead and
says, "You are marked as Christ's own forever."

But this is not a Biblical concept, it is a later invention.

The practice of anointing is an early Jewish and Christian practice.

Yes, it was done by Hashem through emissaries (Moshe and later, the prophets), under Hashem's directives, as annointing the high priest, the Levites, or a king.

The Christian priest, the cross, saying "you are marked as Christ's own forever" is what I referred to as an invention, and not in the Torah, this is NOT what Hashem, Moshe or the prophets did. Christianity has taken many Biblical concepts and reinvented them.

The word "anoint*" appears 24 times in the New Testament and 140 times
in the Old Testament. 2 Corinthians 1:21 says, "But the one who gives
us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also
put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first
installment." See also 1 John 2:20 and 2:27.

The idea that we are slaves of Christ is found in several verses in
the New Testament including Romans 1:1, 1 Corinthians 7:22,
Galatians 1:10, Ephesians 6:6, Philippians 1:1, and Colossians 4:12,
as well as Jude 1:1. The expression "slave* of God*" appears in
Romans 6:22, Titus 1:1, James 1:1, and 1 Peter 2:16. The last verse
indicates that we find true freedom in slavery to God.

Hashem did not write the new testament, however. So this does not enlighten us as to the Biblical concepts of redemption and atonement.

Shoshanna

Shoshanna

Cindy Smith I have further observed under the sun that
cms AT dragon.com The race is not won by the swift,
cms AT 5sc.net Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms AT romancatholic.org Nor is bread won by the wise,
Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum, Nor favor by the learned.
Caledoni! -- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [rosewalk AT concentric.net]