b-hebrew - Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH" <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:17:12 -1300

>From: MX%"Soshie77 AT aol.com" 17-AUG-2001 06:31:07.99
>To: MX%"b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu"
>Subj: Re: Atonement vs Redemption

> Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:30:27 -0400 (EDT)
>From: Soshie77 AT aol.com
>Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 23:30:26 EDT
>Subject: Re: Atonement vs Redemption
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>

>My biblical Hebrew isn't the best, but from what I do know you seem to be
>confusing the biblical Hebrew mindset with that of the Christian mindset,
>please correct me if I am wrong. Atonement and redemption are two very
>different concepts and mindsets, still often translations use them
>interchangeably. Atonement isn't the same as we think of it today,
>atonement
>was putting one's sins onto something else, eg. sacrifice, that's where we
>get the concept of scapegoat of, so that one may be forgiven. (The eye for
>an
>eye concept follows these lines, often perceived very literally, it really
>mean s that there shall be equal, but not exact, reperation for the wrong
>committed) Redemption....that's difficult to explain. As an example of
>modern day perceptions, In Catholicism, Cathliocs believe that God redeemed
>the world through Jesus. In biblical Hebrew, it's not like that at all.
>Can
>someone help me here? I'm looking for the right words, but can't think of
>them right now.

It's my understanding that redemption is an economic term. When you
pay money to a clerk for an item at the store, you are said to redeem
its value so that the item becomes yours, i.e., that you own the item.
When we sin, we are slaves of sin, but Jesus redeems us so that we
become the property of Jesus, i.e., slaves of Christ. This is why a
priest anoints you with oil by drawing a cross on your forehead and
says, "You are marked as Christ's own forever."

>Angela

In a message dated 8/16/01 1:38:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jwaldrip AT baptists.org writes:

> Can you give me some direction so that I might discover the essential
> distinction between the biblical Hebrew concept of atonement versus
> redemption?
>
> In many works they are portrayed as being virtually the same.
>

> John S. Waldrip

---
You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: [cms AT dragon.com]

--part1_126.31e8cfa.28ade9d2_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT SIZE=2 FAMILY="SANSSERIF"
FACE="Arial" LANG="0">My biblical Hebrew isn't the best, but from what I do
know you seem to be
<BR>confusing the biblical Hebrew mindset with that of the Christian mindset,
<BR>please correct me if I am wrong. &nbsp;Atonement and redemption are two
very
<BR>different concepts and mindsets, still often translations use them
<BR>interchangeably. &nbsp;Atonement isn't the same as we think of it today,
atonement
<BR>was putting one's sins onto something else, eg. sacrifice, that's where
we
<BR>get the concept of scapegoat of, so that one may be forgiven. (The eye
for an
<BR>eye concept follows these lines, often perceived very literally, it
really
<BR>mean s that there shall be equal, but not exact, reperation for the wrong
<BR>committed) Redemption....that's difficult to explain. &nbsp;As an example
of
<BR>modern day perceptions, In Catholicism, Cathliocs believe that God
redeemed
<BR>the world through Jesus. &nbsp;In biblical Hebrew, it's not like that at
all. &nbsp;Can
<BR>someone help me here? &nbsp;I'm looking for the right words, but can't
think of
<BR>them right now.
<BR>
<BR>Angela
<BR>
<BR>In a message dated 8/16/01 1:38:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,