b-hebrew - Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH" <cms AT dragon.com>
  • To: B-HEBREW AT FRANKLIN.OIT.UNC.EDU
  • Cc: cms AT dragon.com
  • Subject: Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:11:24 -1300

>Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 17:45:11 -0400
>To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
>From: Shoshanna Walker <rosewalk AT concentric.net>
>Subject: Re: Atonement Vs. Redemption
>CC: cms AT dragon.com

>>There was at least one case, in the Torah, where "redemption money"
>>was used to cleanse the people from sin.

>>Redemption is mentioned in Leviticus 25:48, Ruth 4:7, 2 Kings 12:5,
>>and Psalm 130:7 as well as 12 times in the New Testament.
>>Psalm 130:7 says, "let Israel look for the LORD, For with the LORD is
>>kindness, with him is full redemption, And God will redeem Israel from
>>all their sins." The word "redeem(s)" or "redeemer" appears 90 times
>>in the Old Testament and once in the New Testament. Frequently, the
>>LORD is said to redeem Israel.

>Yes, it connotes freedom

Yes, freedom from slavery to sin.

>>> This is why a
>>>priest anoints you with oil by drawing a cross on your forehead and
>>>says, "You are marked as Christ's own forever."

>But this is not a Biblical concept, it is a later invention.

>>>The practice of anointing is an early Jewish and Christian practice.

>Yes, it was done by Hashem through emissaries (Moshe and later, the
>prophets), under Hashem's directives, as annointing the high priest,
>the Levites, or a king.

>The Christian priest, the cross, saying "you are marked as Christ's
>own forever" is what I referred to as an invention, and not in the
>Torah, this is NOT what Hashem, Moshe or the prophets did.
>Christianity has taken many Biblical concepts and reinvented them.

Modern Jews have taken many Biblical concepts and reinvented them as
well. Christians are not unique in that category.

>>>The word "anoint*" appears 24 times in the New Testament and 140 times
>>>in the Old Testament. 2 Corinthians 1:21 says, "But the one who gives
>>>us security with you in Christ and who anointed us is God; he has also
>>>put his seal upon us and given the Spirit in our hearts as a first
>>>installment." See also 1 John 2:20 and 2:27.

>>>The idea that we are slaves of Christ is found in several verses in
>>>the New Testament including Romans 1:1, 1 Corinthians 7:22,
>>>Galatians 1:10, Ephesians 6:6, Philippians 1:1, and Colossians 4:12,
>>>as well as Jude 1:1. The expression "slave* of God*" appears in
>>>Romans 6:22, Titus 1:1, James 1:1, and 1 Peter 2:16. The last verse
>>>indicates that we find true freedom in slavery to God.

>Hashem did not write the new testament, however. So this does not
>enlighten us as to the Biblical concepts of redemption and atonement.

Hashem inspired human authors to write the New Testament, so the
New Testament is the Word of God just as the Old Testament is the Word
of God. The doctrine that the Bible is the Word of God is a Tradition
of the Catholic Church.

>Shoshanna

Cindy Smith I have further observed under the sun that
cms AT dragon.com The race is not won by the swift,
cms AT 5sc.net Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms AT romancatholic.org Nor is bread won by the wise,
Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum, Nor favor by the learned.
Caledoni! -- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11