b-hebrew - Re: I WILL BE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Numberup AT worldnet.att.net
  • To: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I WILL BE
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 15:01:25 -0700

The Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament, (volume 3) by Botterweck and
Ringgren, in dealing with the *grammar* of hayah/ehyeh have this to say
(pages 380, 381):

"Aside from Ex. 3:14, the 1st person singular imperfect of hayah occurs 64
times in the OT. If we ignore the 22 instances of its use with the
vav-consecutive and the uncertain passages Job 3:16; 12:4, the form is always
future in meaning, or at least optative.....This situation suggests that the
correct translation of Ex. 3:14 should be 'I will be who I will be.' The
ancient versions of Aquila and
Theodotion understood the Hebrew text in this sense (esomai hos esomai).
Such an interpretation is also supported by the appearance of the expression
'I will be with you' in Ex. 3:12."

As other Hebrew-speakers have pointed out, the regular way of looking at
"ehyeh" is simply "I will be."

What is the reason for insisting that it must mean "I am"?

Solomon Landers