b-hebrew - Re: I WILL BE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I WILL BE
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 09:05:41 -0700

>There is no grammatical or linguistic reason to translate Ehyeh >as "I am" at Exodus 3:12 OR 3:14. All the justifications I have >read have been, ultimately, theological.
Of course it's easy to say this sort of thing, not so easy to demonstrate it. In what way are the passages I've offered showing that 'ehyeh can and does have present meaning "ultimately, theological"? Anyone can say there's no grammatical or linguistic justification for something; I can say the same thing about reading BH with MH tensings. But such statements contribute nothing to the discussion.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch.  That's what you're good at."

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.