b-hebrew - Re: I WILL BE

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lee R. Martin" <lmartin AT vol.com>
  • To: "Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • Cc: "Hebrew List" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: I WILL BE
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 11:04:43 -0400

Dear Ken,
I looked at all of the texts in your list and Dave's. You are correct that
HYH is not always future tense. However, HYH is not used as present tense.
Every one of these uses of HYH can easily be explained as frequentative past
or modal. None of them are simple present tense. Thus, the statement in Ex
3 would be either "I WILL be (modal) what I shall be" or "I WILL be what I
have been."
Lee R. Martin