b-hebrew - Re: BH Syntax

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Serge Lyosov" <lyosovs AT hotmail.com>
  • To: lmartin AT vol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: BH Syntax
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 22:22:57 +0400

Dear Lee,
What I mean is that one cannot paraphrase 2 Sam 8:14 and dozens of similar asyndetic clauses in terms of wyqtl chains. I think that the authors of BH prose use asyndeton (unless it is a a cliche phrase) to address the reader directly, somehow stepping - for that purpose - out of the narrated world, i.e. changing the pragmatics of their discourse.
Serge