b-hebrew - Re: Genesis JEDP ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis JEDP ???
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:30:11 -0300

There is of course an alternative interpretation that these places, events
etc are not given in detail because the "true dates of authorship" are not
the ones you so confidently assert but are before those events or those
places were known in more than outline e.g. in the time of Moses. These
things read more like forecasts and instructions before the event, without
detail, than as reports after the event. Surely that is a simpler
hypothesis, by Occam's razor, than the one that the authors wrote later but
deliberately concealed the "true dates of authorship".

Peter Kirk