b-hebrew - RE: Genesis JEDP ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Genesis JEDP ???
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 08:59:24 +0200

Dear Ian,

The basic text about centralization is Deut 12. Nowhere do you here find an
indication that the place should be Jerusalem. There is an enormous amount
of Deuteronomistic phrasing and ideology in this chapter but not a word
about Jerusalem. Quite astonishing if the Pentateuch was really the product
of people living in Jerusalem. People might want to say that it was too
early to think of Jerusalem, but we know from other indications that the
people who got this literature together had no problems indicating the
course of the future (the ex eventu business, of course). So the historical
problem is not a problem at all, except to people who might think of a
Mosaic authorship to a text like Deut 12, but that is their problem.

NPL