b-hebrew - SV: Genesis JEDP ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Thomas L. Thompson" <tlt AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Peter Kirk' <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>, Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Genesis JEDP ???
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 08:52:05 +0200

I find the quotation from Freedman's ABD article somewhat problematic and
seriously anachronistic. The Elephantine texts refer to two distinct
communities to which the Jews of Elephantine could address themselves for
help. It does not imply that there ever was a schism, let alone that it was
this early. I think Freedman here is assuming that there had been an
original unity and that, therefore, separate temples imply schism. The
Samaritan Chronicle is discussed in some detail in Ingrid Hjelm, The
Samaritans and Early Judaism (Sheffield, 2000), esp. p.97-103, as is
Josephus in regard to the Samaritans. A detailed argument is raised against
assuming any early 'schism'.
Thomas