b-hebrew - RE: Genesis JEDP ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Genesis JEDP ???
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 03:22:57 +0200

At 19.27 04/09/00 +0200, Niels Peter Lemche wrote:
>Maybe they just wrote it. Remember, silence about Jerusalem in the
>Pentateuch, but a lot about Shechem and environment.

Hej NP

Jerusalem I thought was the "place which the Lord your God will choose".
Mentioning Shechem should exclude it from being that place as the mention
of Jerusalem would. It could of course have been some other place, but the
lack of mention of Jerusalem in a text almost certainly written after
Hebrew control of Jerusalem is significant: either the sort of proposal you
make is correct (and they simply didn't want to mention Jerusalem anyway)
or the place is Jerusalem.

Ian