b-hebrew - Re: Genesis JEDP ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Steve Oren" <soren AT enteract.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Genesis JEDP ???
  • Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 12:30:49 +0100

Hold on. The original assertion was not this, if you mean the one which I
made. It was (I quote myself):

"Remember that we have evidence from the Elephantine letters for a Samaritan
temple from about this period."

I did not say that the temple was at Elephantine. Of course not, that would
be absurd. Only the evidence was at Elephantine. The temple I am referring
to is the one, presumably at Shechem, which Freedman refers to. It may be a
bit anachronistic to call it "Samaritan", but I thought the meaning was
clear.

Peter Kirk