b-hebrew - Re: Constructs with finite verb.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Constructs with finite verb.
  • Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 22:19:32 -0300

Dave, you have slipped from one understanding to another by adding a comma.
You started by quoting Gesenius (as translatedby Cowley presumably):

"the city where David encamped"

To me that is good English. You then went on to:

* "In the beginning when God created the heavens and the earth etc."

I have added the * because to me (by British standards) this is not
acceptable English. "City where" is OK, meaning the same as "city at/in
which". But "beginning when" is not. I assume that you are taking the
meaning analogously as something like "beginning at which", with "at" in it
temporal sense. But in any case you are taking this as a construct chain and
so taking "when God created..." as in some sense dependent on "beginning",
i.e. you would parse "beginning when God created..." as a noun phrase and
divide it first into "beginning" as a noun and "when God created..." as an
adjective phrase describing "beginning". But then you rewrite your
interpretation as:

"In the beginning, when God created the heavens and the earth..."

Now this I accept as good English. But it has a different sense. The comma
forces an alternative parse which is acceptable, as two separate
prepositional phrases, one "In the beginning" and the other "when God
created...", which are presumably to be taken as parallel, the second
explaining the first. Unfortunately this sense cannot be the meaning of the
Hebrew text as there is nothing to signal the "when". Also it does not solve
either of the problems which have been identified with this verse, for
RESHIT must be absolute again with this parsing, and you have not explained
the unique WAW at the start of verse 2.

Peter Kirk