b-hebrew - Gen 1:1, Rashi

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <brocine AT earthlink.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Gen 1:1, Rashi
  • Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 21:13:00 -0400

B-Haverim,

Am I missing something? Rashi suggested amending bara' to
baro'?

My Rashi reads this way: "...for the word _re'shit_ never
appears in Scripture except when it is annexed to the
following word... Here, too you must interpret 'In the
beginning Elohim created' as if [it were written] 'At the
beginning of the creating.' [We find] similarly, _texilat
dibber yhwh behoshea`_ Hos 1:2 as if to say 'At the
beginning of God's speaking to Hoshea...'"

It seems to me he accepts both the qatals bara' and dibber.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor