b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: "Stephen C. Carlson" <scarlson AT mindspring.com>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 13:59:33 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen,
The use of the term "24 hour"is to translate into more technical
(and thus more clear) English terminology in this discussion. If I were
to use the term "day" everyone on this list would be wondering "does he
mean a *real* day, or a day of 1000 years or a day of a billion years."
This is not because the English word "day" is insufficient in
communication generally, really that in this context where people have
re-defined the term. The word "day" can also mean the daylight part of a
day. Lest I appear to *not* reflect the biblical text, I use the term
"24-hour day." If you have a better term, I am very much open to it.
The phrase "24 hour" does not reflect how I feel the ancients perceived
time.

Michael