b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 06:58:46 -0700

Michael,
> The problem, IMHO, is that folks want to find a way to "work into the
> text" the eons of time necessary to coordinate modern day scientific
> theories with what the Bible clearly communicates. Thus the development
> of the "day-age" theory, i.e. each day represents an "age" of time (or in
> some cases a "revelatory time"), not a literal day. This means that you
> *can* wedge 5 billion years (or what ever) into the biblical text. This
> theory has a long history, but it is clearly out of step with the
> linguistics of the passage.

So anybody who doesn't see these days as "literal" can only be
doing so for this reason. In my case at least, you're wrong. I
couldn't care less about theories and such. I'm just out to
understand the text. I should also point out that even young-earth
creationists such as Henry Morris and Duane Gish have concluded
that there must be more time present in the early chapters of
Genesis than a "literal" reading would indicate. So this should not
be an issue. If it is, it seems to me that it's only an issue to you.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"Éist le glór Dé."