b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: Martin Badenhorst <badenhorst AT op.org>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 09:14:28 -0700 (PDT)

Martin,
Let me see if I am understanding you correctly. If a text has
repetitions, it is not literal? Counting makes it not literal? So that
makes the phrase evening and morning not literal? why only that
phrase? Should we not take the term "God" as literal? Surely it should
be taken in the context of an understanding of the Bible as a whole,
whether you understand it as P (written either in the 8th or 5th
centuries-depending on your source critical presupposition) or by Moses in
the 15th/14th centuries, this text *assumes* an understanding of the terms
used. Surely we should understand the term "earth" as the same as was
understood in the rest of the Bible. As well as the terms
"God," "man," "plants," and all of the other terms. What criterion can we
develop to place a new understanding on particular terms? We have to use
context first and formost to understand words. The context here, as far
as the lexical understanding of the vocabulary, is consistent within
itself and within the rest of the Biblical corpus. To argue that this
text is somehow special because it deals with a special situation is a
very short logical circle. But I digress.
Back to your original understanding. If we go to other texts and
find repetitions and counting, does that make those texts not literal?

Michael