b-hebrew - RE: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bill Ross" <wross AT farmerstel.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:12:00 -0500

<Bill>
Is the reading that the sun was to "rule" correct? If so, this is different
from "measure". Hence, if the sun is to "rule" it is to dictate a day and a
night. If so, the reign began on the fourth day.

I don't, for a minute, believe in an evolutionary origin of man and believe
the Genesis account is accurate, but I feel strongly that it is vain to
"prove" or "disprove" a 24 hour day from the text.

I do think that the latter days were clearly 24 hours, so there is no
compatibility with a kazillion year evolution of man from apes and Genesis.

Bill Ross