b-hebrew - stupid question of the year

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jeremy Sasser" <jeremy AT fish.pair.com>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: stupid question of the year
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 11:45:30 -0700

I had wondered about this before when reading Genesis 1:1 in Hebrew - I don't know if you guys have already discussed this, but anyway:

Why is 'bereshit' translated as 'in THE beginning' when there's a schwa and not that 'a' thingy which indicates definite article? Shouldn't it be like "in A beginning" (yeah, I know it sounds weird in English, but still...)

Please enlighten me...

Jeremy