b-hebrew - Fw: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Fw: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:30:09 +0100

To adapt Michael's words: The problem, IMHO, is that folks want to find a
way to "work into the text" the literal 24 hour days necessary to coordinate
modern day pseudo-scientific "creationist" theories with what the Biblical
author may have intended to communicate. This "creationist" theory has a
rather short history, but it is out of step with one perfectly good
interpretation of the linguistics of the passage.

I am quite happy to leave this discussion at "we can't be sure whether the
author intended 24 hour periods or not". But I cannot accept that the
passage absolutely requires 24 hour periods.

Peter Kirk