b-hebrew - Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Michael Hildenbrand <hildenbr AT Haas.Berkeley.EDU>
  • To: Raymond de Hoop <rdehoop AT tref.nl>
  • Cc: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: The 24 hour "evening and mornings" ???
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

The problem, IMHO, is that folks want to find a way to "work into the
text" the eons of time necessary to coordinate modern day scientific
theories with what the Bible clearly communicates. Thus the development
of the "day-age" theory, i.e. each day represents an "age" of time (or in
some cases a "revelatory time"), not a literal day. This means that you
*can* wedge 5 billion years (or what ever) into the biblical text. This
theory has a long history, but it is clearly out of step with the
linguistics of the passage.
Michael