b-hebrew - Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew
  • Subject: Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 17:17:54

First let me say that if religion offends you, don't read this! I feel I
should post it, but I would hope you who take offense at my opinions should
pass this post by. It is for those with some kind of faith in God.

If it is stated that the language developed later or such, is not this
argument based on silence and on the assumption that what happened in one
Semitic language must, of necesity, have happened at the same time in
another?

Could not Hebrew and the Hebraic tradition have developed orally rather
than in a written tradition, and, hence, leave little remains of what is to
be inscribed? Either side is a discussion on silent evidence and,
therefore, not science. Science would investigate what we DO have. That
is, the writings that are extant.

I know that I have missed out on a lot of the discussion, but in patience
bear with me and show me why you think otherwise. I am a logical person
and willing to hear any argument. However, I believe that true, pure
knowledge has its basis in God. As the Proverbs (1:7) have well said: "The
fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge." I will base everything on
one assumption: God is truth and therefore what He has done is real,
whatever that might be.

As Thomas À Kempis wisely said: "If thou desirest to reap profit, read with
humility, simplicity, and faithfulness." (Imitation of Christ, V.2)

Thanks for your patience and time.

Jason Hare
Ozark Christian College