b-hebrew - Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Charles David Isbell" <cisbell AT home.com>
  • To: "Jason Hare" <parousia_occ AT yahoo.com>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:25:29 -0600

Here are the answers to Mr. Jason Hare. No I don't believe anything like
the skeleton of your faith that you have so graciously shoved in our faces
on a scholarly list. I have more respect for Miqra' than you can possibly
recognize, having devoted now 28 years to its study on a professional level.
And each of these 28 years, some young person much like you, whose own faith
is only the repetition of things others have taught him/her since birth, has
dutifully attempted to convert me to a particular brand of Christian
fundamentalism. Believe me, Baton Rouge has more fundamentalists per square
inch than most places on earth, and those of your ilk here can even study at
that great bastion of intellectual Lilliputianism and literal biblical
inerrancy, Jimmy Swaggert Bible College, without leaving home.
So having met in person many of your cousins, I understand that your faith
teaches you that you cannot be the proper kind of Christian you seek to be
unless you witness to everyone within range. So here and now I am giving
you a note that you may print out and take back to your evangelism professor
as proof that you have "witnessed" to a Jew. Now stop. And stop posting
your ignorance. Go study.
Here's an idea for your first assignment. When you are reading Matthew one
in Greek, note that the genealogy of Jesus is traced back to Joseph for 17
verses, immediately after which we are told in no uncertain terms that
Joseph had absolutely nothing to do with the conception. Which "literal"
reading is the Word of God here?
I had just finished my morning cup of coffee, and thought I would start my
day by reading the many posts I had received overnight, on lists like ANE,
H-JUDAIC, and several others. I do not appreciate being assaulted by a 20
year old novice in the field who is lecturing me about the "Word [capital
W!] of the Lord." I do not appreciate receiving four postings, no less,
from this Akiva wanna-be, quoting with an absolute lack of respect and
understanding from the Siddur of my faith to find some obscure proof of his
own bibliolatry and offering his ridiculous attempt to translate "New
Testament" into modern Hebrew. This is highly offensive and improper
conduct for an open scholarly forum. I call upon the moderators to throw
this baby fish back into the sea of learning for at least ten years until he
can grow big enough to respect the faith of others and learn how utterly
disgusting are his attempts to discourse with us on a missiological basis.
Charles David Isbell

Jason Hare:
"I have been shocked by how many non-literalists I have seen here. How many
here truly believe that the narrative of the HB represents true history and
is the Word of the Lord?"