b-hebrew - Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 08:05:52 -0700

Charles,
> Here are the answers to Mr. Jason Hare. No I don't believe anything like
> the skeleton of your faith that you have so graciously shoved in our faces
> on a scholarly list. I have more respect for Miqra' than you can possibly
> recognize, having devoted now 28 years to its study on a professional level.
> And each of these 28 years, some young person much like you, whose own faith
> is only the repetition of things others have taught him/her since birth, has
> dutifully attempted to convert me to a particular brand of Christian
> fundamentalism. Believe me, Baton Rouge has more fundamentalists per square
> inch than most places on earth, and those of your ilk here can even study at
> that great bastion of intellectual Lilliputianism and literal biblical
> inerrancy, Jimmy Swaggert Bible College, without leaving home.

[additional flames snipped]

As you noted, Charles, he's a kid. How about cutting him a little
slack? The extended personal attack is unwarranted, all he did
was ask a question. Granted this isn't the place for it, but it seems
to me that there's an excessive sensitivity going on here. Nobody
is born knowing this stuff, we all have to learn it. And I certainly
respect your desire not to have Christianity shoved in your face, but
I really don't think that's what Jason was trying to do. As I recall,
this kind of defamation of other people's faith is also out of line with
the charter, so now that several of us have answered Jason's
question, I suggest we move on and help him learn greater
appreciation of the Hebrew language just as we help each other.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11