b-hebrew - Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Accuracy of the Biblical text??
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 07:48:50 -0700

Jason,
> I have been shocked by how many non-literalists I have seen here. How many
> here truly believe that the narrative of the HB represents true history and
> is the Word of the Lord?

Put me down as one.

> I don't want to be disrespectful toward my "opponents," but I think it
> interesting that there are so many skeptics in the area of Hebrew studies.
> Toward the opposite extreme (if I can be bad for a moment) it seems that
> the more I study Greek the more I am convinced of the authenticity of the
> NT. Will the study of the HB lead, inevitably, to a doubt of its content?
> I would hope not.

It hasn't for me. The problem I see is not so much the content of
the evidence as varying interpretations of it. This list is geared
toward kicking those interpretations around, sharing information
and discoveries about the language, and enabling all of us to (one
would hope) refine personal views and spark further research. I try
to confine myself to matters of Hebrew grammar, though I
sometimes let myself get sucked into other topics.

> Wilbur Fields, a wonderful professor from my college, has studied Hebrew
> for MANY years and he is the one of whom I spoke earlier saying that he
> goes to Israel regularly. He is brilliant and totally involved in
> archaeology over in Palestine, yet the more he studies, the more is faith
> confirmed. What is up? How can Hebrew, the language that God delivered
> His message through, become a stumbling block for so many?

I hope this last sentence doesn't start a flame war, and far be it
from me to agree with Ian :-) but as he pointed out, "the language
that God delivered His message through" is an assumption that
many don't share. I happen to, but this is not the forum to try and
discuss it.

> I would encourage you to not become so wrapped up in opinions about
> insignificance that you forget overall pictures. I don't intend anything
> offensive toward anyone, but it seems the study of Hebrew leads most toward
> a skeptic attitude toward God. Be careful.

Like your professor, the more I study the text in its historical
context, the more convinced I become of its accuracy. More
important for this list, the more I delve into the intricacies of the
language, especially at the syntactic level, the more I fall in love
with it. I hope the same is true for you throughout your life.

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
Psalm 86:11