b-hebrew - Re[2]: Diachronic study (History in Daniel)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk"<peter_kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Diachronic study (History in Daniel)
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 12:01:17 -0500

Dear Ian,

Two points here:

1) You write that "The historical links between Dan 11 and the events
related to the Seleucid domination are so strong..." Now I admit that
I have not looked into this in detail. But I wonder how much we know
of these "events" which is independent of the book of Daniel. Please
list your sources (and their dates, and the dates of the earliest
surviving MSS) for your rather confident knowledge of these events,
which so contrasts with your scepticism concerning reported events of
earlier centuries.

2) You write: "If one wants to put aside the historical significance
of a text, they are not interested in history." Well, does that apply
to all texts? What about the prophecies of Nostradamus? Does anyone
interested in history have to look at their historical significance
and try to fit the alleged fulfilment of some of these prophecies with
historical events? Now, although I would not want to link Daniel too
closely with Nostradamus, could we not have a similar case of books
presented as prophecy but with some (debatable and perhaps accidental)
correspondence with actual events? Just as one would not try to
interpret Nostradamus as prophecy after the event (and partly because
we know when Nostradamus' works were written, or think we do), perhaps
one should be careful before treating Daniel in the same way. Or
perhaps you would argue that Nostradamus' prophecies must have been
written after their alleged fulfilments and that it was all some
strange conspiracy, complete with texts in forged archaic language, to
attribute them to some earlier historical writer?

Peter Kirk