b-hebrew - Re[2]: "Post-Exilic" Genesis (long)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Jonathan Bailey <jonathan.bailey AT gmx.de>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew list <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: "Post-Exilic" Genesis (long)
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 08:41:56 +0100

This is primitive Wellhausenism. We have the Hebrew Geza Calender from the
10th
century. We have a Phonecian alphabetic tradition even earlier. We have a 13th
century Ugaritic tradition. Alphabetic writing certainly precedes David. And
who said
the texts had to be preserved alphabetically? We have cuneiform back to the
3rd
millenium. And I am no egyptologist, but I think heiroglyphics are proven to
go way
back.

The notion that writing is young, therefore government is young, therefore
the texts
are young, is wacky 19th century fantasy born out of pure ignorance. Writing
is OLD.
Alphabetic or otherwise. And so is government.

"If there are many wisemen in a city, this means that the city will soon
fall."
Babylonian proverb

Jonathan Bailey
Hochschule für Jüdische Studien