b-hebrew - SV: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Niels Peter Lemche <npl AT teol.ku.dk>
  • To: 'Walter Mattfeld' <mattfeld AT mail.pjsnet.com>
  • Cc: "'b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu'" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: SV: Dating the Pentateuch- Canaan's Conquest Anomalies
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2000 10:06:18 +0100

ONly that several scholars have questioned the presence of local
administrations in the Egyptian part of Western Asia in the EA
period--espec. in Palestine. Some have argued that we may have a travelling
circus with scribes educated by the Egyptians and used exclusively for their
purpose, others that e.g. some Northern Amorite elements are present in the
letters pointing to an education not in Palestine. It is at least for the
small patronage systems of Palestine very doubtful that any administrative
organization worth mentioning was present. In Phoenicia, the situation was
different, as evidence from the mass of lettesr from Rib-Adda of Byblus.

NPL