b-hebrew - Re[8]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[8]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:58:16 -0400

You misunderstand my argument. I am sure that Josephus' meaning (as
reasonably accurately reflected in the older translation) was that
knowledge of Greek was widespread among the Jews, especially the
despised lower classes. This is the clear evidence for widespread
bilingualism which you insist is lacking. So if you want to continue
to argue that bilingualism was very rare, you will have to take up my
hint, eat the rest of your words here, and reject Josephus as no more
historical than Ezra!

Peter Kirk