b-hebrew - Re[2]: Hebrew & Aramaic again

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[2]: Hebrew & Aramaic again
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:49:18 -0400

Ian, it seems you are trying to squeeze yourself out of a tight spot
by redefining the term "bilingualism" to exclude one of the recognised
forms of bilingualism, I think it is called "passive bilingualism", in
which one can understand a second language but not speak it. "That one
can understand the content of a communication in another language
without speaking that language" is not irrelevant, it is a form of
bilngualism. Or maybe you are thinking of bilingualism as synonymous
with dual native speaker ability. The latter is of course much less
common, usually only found in children of mixed marriages. I suggest
you read the literature on bilingualism (in the sociolonguistics
section of your local library) before continuing on this subject.

Peter Kirk