b-hebrew - Re[10]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[10]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:44:05 -0400

I expect we are boring everyone else on this list by now, but I will
paraphrase Josephus' logic for you at your request: "Many of the
Jewish people have learned Greek, especially freedmen and servants
[presumably for perceived economic advantage]. But we of the upper
classes consider this rather vulgar and beneath us. For this reason I
never learned Greek." I accept that the freedmen and servants could be
taken as non-Jewish Aramaic speakers, but the distinction Josephus is
making between those who learn Greek and those who do not looks more
like a class difference to me. Whichever way you take it, this is
clear evidence that there were many people (the freedmen and
servants), either Jews or others living in close proximity to them,
who learned Greek as a second language and so were bilingual.

As for my last paragraph, you are taking me too seriously. I should
have put a ;-) after it. But I have a serious point, which we can
understand from the type of hypothetical court case which we used to
discuss. You are making a case for your hypothesis that bilingualism
was rare, and the other side has brought forward this witness Josephus
with evidence contrary to your hypothesis. As an impartial observer, I
can say that your best hope to rescue your hypothesis is to cast doubt
on the reliability of the witness Josephus, especially as you have
shown yourself an expert at casting such doubt in your contributions
on various Hebrew Bible passages, most recently Ezra.

Peter Kirk