b-hebrew - Re[12]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[12]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 12:09:04 -0400

Dear Ian,

I don't know why you responded to my posting about bilingualism with a
lengthy and repetitive attack on the historicity of Ezra, which was
not at all my point here. It was merely a point of comparison. I am
trying to make one point and one point only, which is about
bilingualism. The rest was merely in passing and should be dropped, or
at least relegated to the separate thread about the reliability of
Ezra.

Josephus gives clear evidence of bilingualism, in that many people had
learned the "language of many nations" (not "dialects", "dialekton" is
surely singular, and means "language" rather than "dialect") and so
were bilingual. If the distinction he makes is not a class
distinction, what is it?

I didn't start the thread on bilingualism, perhaps Henry did. If you
are not interested in this, why have you been posting again and again
about it?

Peter Kirk