b-hebrew - Re[6]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: peter_kirk AT sil.org
  • To: <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re[6]: Hebrew & Aramaic again (Peter)
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:49:45 -0400

How do you want to understand "par' hEmin gar ouk ekeinous
apodechontai tous pollOn ethnOn dialekton ekmathontas dia to koinon
einai nomizein to epitEdeuma touto"? To me it means "for by them those
learning the dialect of many nations are not accepted as they consider
this pursuit to be common". In this context "common" (KOINOS) implies
"vulgar" but the basic meaning of the word is "widespread". The only
difference from the English translation I gave earlier is that the
"dialect" is not specified as Greek, but surely this must be the
meaning.

Your chain of conjecture is getting even longer if you rely on
Tertullian as confirmation of Josephus. What epigraphic evidence do we
have for the existence of Tertullian and the dating of his works? What
is the date of the earliest surviving manuscripts?

Now I have no doubts about accepting the historicity of Jospehus and
Tertullian, and few about Ezra (which is a different question from the
dating of the book that bears his name). But by the same rigorous
method which you have used to expunge Moses, David, Solomon, Ezra etc
from the historical record as "unprovable", you have to expunge also
Josephus, Tertullian, in fact almost everyone from the "classical"
world whose name does not happen to have survived on a block of
marble. Did you not say this yourself not long ago? You cannot pick
and choose arbitrarily which figures you accept as reliable sources
and which you reject as unprovavble; you need to be consistent! That
is my point.

Peter Kirk