b-hebrew - Re: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rodney Duke <dukerk AT appstate.edu>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 11:07:24 -0500

Ken Litwak asked:

:... Let us
:focus on just ONE thing at a time please. Do you have any
suggestiojns
:for criteria for establishing the likely dates of compositions
oa any
:texts?

What about text criticism? Any help here? I understand that
Bruce Waltke wrote a dissertation that was a text-critical
analysis of the Samaritan Pentateuch in which he showed the SP
had modernized its Vorlage in places. Such results, if valid,
would provide some relative dating and, if the date of the
emergence of the SP can be established, then perhaps one could
move toward absolute dating. I don't know--not my field of
expertise. What do you think?

Rodney
Rodney K. Duke
Dept. of Phil. & Rel., Appalachian State Uni., Boone, NC 28608
(O)828-262-3091, (FAX) 828-262-6619, dukerk AT appstate.edu