b-hebrew - Re[2]: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:32:52 -0500 (EST)

As Rodney Duke has taken this question as a general one, so perhaps
may I. I would suggest that one criterion which we must take seriously
is what the texts say about themselves. If we read at the start of a
text "The teaching of Aristotle..." or "I, Thucydides, have written
for you...", then we take as a first hypothesis that these books were
written by Aristotle and Thucydides, and only reject this if we find
good reason to do so. This good reason must also account for why
someone might at some other time have written a book in the name of
Aristotle or Thucydides, and how the book became accepted as genuine.
I think we need to apply the same criteria to Biblical books, at least
to those whose author or time of writing is specified or implied
within them. If anyone proposes a later date for a named book, they
also have to account for how it became accepted as genuine - to my
mind this is a serious problem especially with 2nd century BC datings
of major Biblical books e.g. Genesis.

Peter Kirk