b-hebrew - Re[4]: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[4]: Historiography and the Scriptures of Israel
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 20:48:37 -0500 (EST)

Ah, I wonder if we are now getting to the root of your difficulties,
Ian. You are arguing circularly for the late date of the Melchizedek
and El Elyon passages (I could "prove" by exactly the same arguments
that Gen 14 and Ps 110 are 19th century BC!), and now assuming
disproved monotheism in Moses' time. Why? Do you hold to the 19th
century view (which perhaps had racist undertones??) that mankind
developed from "primitive" animism to "advanced" monotheism? Anyway,
something close to monotheism is by no means improbable for Moses, if
he was raised in Egypt not long after the time of Akhenaten.

Peter Kirk