b-hebrew - Re: wayyiqtol test

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Bryan Rocine" <596547 AT ican.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: wayyiqtol test
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 12:40:25 -0500

Hi Rolf, you wrote:
> In the middle of an extremely busy schedule I could not resist the
> temptation to comment on your post.
> I beg to differ with your fundamental principle: " Sequence and
> perfectivity are inseperable." The principle is valid in English where
> aspects are not grammaticalized, but I see no reason why it should be so
in
> a language where aspects are morphologically marked. There are examples
in
> Aramaic, Syriac, and Phoenician of perfective and imperfective forms used
> in sequences. The last example I saw was in an Accadian letter from Mari
> about the king Zimri Lim, which we studied in class last week.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Help me out: I am suspicious of the comparisons to cognate languages that
depend on mere nomenclature because I suspect (Ewaldian?) tradition in the
study Semitic languages may have had more to do with the *labeling* of the
verb forms than an unbiased examination, one language at a time, of the
*meanings* and *functions* of the forms in a particular language. Is there
a tendency in the field to call anything with a prefixed subject an
imperfect without real regard to what the form means? Is there an
assumption that perfect is an adequate label for any verb with a suffixed
subject pronoun merely because it is a suffixed form? Is my suspicion
unfounded?

<snip>

> Let me use three examples of wayyiqtols which show the imperfectivity of
> the form, two of them are conative and the third is future:
>
> Ex. 8:14 "The magicians tried by their secret arts to bring forth gnats,
> but they could not. So there were gnats on man and beast. "
>
> Jer. 37:12 "Jeremiah set out from Jerusalem to go to the land of Benjamin
> to receive his portion there among the people." (Jeremiah did not leave
> Jerusalem)

These two look perfective to me.

> Jer. 38:9 "My lord the king, these men have done evil in all that they
did
> to Jeremiah the prophet by casting him into the cistern; and he will die
> there of hunger, for there is no bread left in the city." (Jeremiah did
not
> die)

Interesting example. Just for the sake of arguement: might the sense of
vayamat be "so he is as good as dead"? Can you give me more examples like
this? Gen 19:11 looks perfective to me. Thanks.

Shalom,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Associate Pastor