b-hebrew - Re: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: WP
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 14:32:54 -0700

Lee,
I believe Rolf was saying his statistics support my contention that
there is no separate weqatal. What are the 2 components that you
see? You may have mentioned them before, but apparently I
missed it if you did.

> Dear Rolf,
> Thanks for restating your view.
> As I wrote in response to Dave, I do not believe in a 4 component model; I
> accept only 2 components to the finite verb system of BH. And I am aware of
> the statistics below. However, your statistics do not explain the weqatal,
> its origin, or its function. Your post is a good example of what I said
> earlier. The weqatal has been described, but not explained.
> Lee R. Martin
>
> >Some statisticts: Looking at qatals with prefixed waw in 1st and 2nd person
> >singular, I found 1637 examples in BHS. Of these, 1222 had ultimate stress
> >(including 83 of the lamed aleph and lamed he groups), and 415 had
> >penultimate stress (including 278 of the lamed aleph and lamed he groups).
> >Of the verbs with ultimate stress 1082 evidently have future meaning, and
> >of the verbs with penultimate stress 148 evidently have future meaning.
> >
> >The fact that 12 per cent of the weqatals with penultimate stress do not
> >have a future meaning and that 36 per cent of the weqatals with penultimate
> >stress have future meaning accords with Dave's suggestions above.
>

> ---
> You are currently subscribed to b-hebrew as: dwashbur AT nyx.net

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • Re: WP , (continued)
      • Message not available