b-hebrew - Re: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: WP
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:37:11 -0700

Lee,

> Lee Martin wrote:
> > Dave,
> > Yes, I understand what Rolf is saying. I agree with him and with you that
> > there is no "separate" weqatal. I never said there was. But weqatals are
> > *not* used like qatals without "we-". How do you explain that? That
> wasn't
> > my point. The 2 components of the finite verb system are 1) prefix
> > conjugation, 2) and suffix conjugation.
>
> Dave wrote:
>
> Um, now I'm confused. If there is no such thing, how can it be
> used differently? Obviously I'm missing something here. As for the
> 2 components, am I correct in assuming that the WP is subsumed
> under the prefix conjugation?
>
> Dave,
> Yes, WP is prefix conjugation, but wayyiqtol functions differently from
> yiqtol or the jussive, or the cohortative. There is no *weqatal* form, so
> to speak, but I am using weqatal to refer to qatal when it has the
> conjunction we-. These do exist, without question, thousands of them. To
> use different terms, the suffix conjugation has different functions with and
> without the conjunction, and I am asking for someone to explain why.

I'll repeat my request for some passages that we can look at
together...

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur

  • Re: WP , (continued)
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Bryan Rocine, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/23/1999
      • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Bryan Rocine, 01/23/1999
    • Re: Re[2]: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re[3]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999