b-hebrew - Re[2]: WP

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter_Kirk AT SIL.ORG
  • To: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re[2]: WP
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 01:18:45 -0500 (EST)

One for Dave to duck, or to try to answer:

If weqatal is nothing but qatal which happens to have a conjunction,
why are the instructions for building the tabernacle (for example)
full of weqatal's and yiqtol's but no qatal's; where the corresponding
account of the building is largely identical except that it has
wayyiqtol's and qatal's but no yiqtol's?

If we look at the clause level, I am not sure how to account for this
data apart from a "traditional" four component model with something
like a "waw conversive". Then there is a separate issue of deciding
how this strange system arose (but there are many very strange things
in real human languages!)

If we are to move anywhere beyond such a traditional view, I am sure
we need to look above the clause level. So my advice to Dave would be
to brush up his discourse studies before taking his studies further.

Peter Kirk

  • Re: WP , (continued)
    • Re: WP, Bryan Rocine, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/22/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Lee R. Martin, 01/23/1999
      • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re[2]: WP, Rolf Furuli, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Bryan Rocine, 01/23/1999
    • Re: Re[2]: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999
    • Re[3]: WP, Peter_Kirk, 01/23/1999
    • Re: WP, Paul Zellmer, 01/23/1999
      • Re: WP, Dave Washburn, 01/23/1999